Room Service Cook - Food and Nutrition
Hot Springs Health
ROOM SERVICE COOK
DEPARTMENT: Nutrition and Room Service
SUPERVISOR: Director, Nutrition and Room Service
APPROVED BY: Chief, Clinical Operations DATE: August, 2020
In accordance with the Hot Springs Health Personnel Policy and Procedure Manual and the requirements of our accrediting bodies, the employee will support the following:
Partnering with our community for quality health and healing
The five-core values OASIS:
· Always better than yesterday
· Service first
· Stewardship of our resources
Our behavior creates our OASIS – a place where we can find safety, sustenance, and a pleasant change from the usual.
Being the hub for the development and provision of quality health services while ensuring the viability of Hot Springs Health as a valued healthcare partner in the community.
Priorities: Quality, Service, Finance, People, and Growth.
The employee will demonstrate the ability to:
• Manage time
• Maintain a safe and clean environment
• Practice confidentiality
• Treat all persons with respect and professional courtesy
• Accept change
• Accept and provide constructive feedback
• Work as a team player
• Adhere to infection control requirements, fire and safety, disaster, and hazardous waste policies.
Demonstrated the competencies for the position, and adhere to policies and procedures of their department. The employee will participate in quality improvement activities.
The following is a list of minimally required behaviors to assist the employee in partnering with our community:
The employee accepts responsibility for actions, attitudes, and health. Doing things right the first time, every time for excellent results. The employee takes ownership of mistakes and makes constructive changes to avoid repeating mistakes. The employee works with empowerment to the highest potential both as an individual and as part of the team. Unsatisfied with the status quo or just being “good.”
Always Better Than Yesterday
Performs at the highest level, always learning and looking for ways to improve, with an unwavering focus on safety. Celebrates and encourages the contributions of one another.
Constructively challenges the status quo by being flexible, adaptable, and embracing change as key elements of our future success. Contributes to an environment that encourages creative thinking. Shares ideas and opinions and supports opportunities to learn and grow.
Doing our best every day to anticipate and exceed the expectations of patients, providers, and co-workers. Understands that excellence is the result of our team effort. The employee creates legendary experiences.
The employee does the right thing. Consistently open, honest, trustworthy, and ethical. The employee demonstrates respect for patients, their families, staff, providers, and the community.
Stewardship of Our Resources
Strives to care wisely for our human, financial and natural resources.
The employee strengthens HSH as a partner in the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Room Service Cook duties: Under the direction of a dietitian, the employee completes the following functions:
1. Prepare meals to include the appropriate temperature, texture, garnish, and color of foods.
2. Conduct test tray audits
3. Prepare special diets following the departmental guides, as ordered.
4. Take food temperatures during production and before serving the meal, including test trays
5. Store all foods as per established protocols, including Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) and Ready-to-Eat (RTE) foods.
6. Document and monitor freezer temperatures and record as required.
7. Maintain a clean sanitized kitchen and workspaces to assure patient and client safety following Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP).
8. Inventory, ordering, and stock as required following First In-First Out (FIFO) processes.
9. Cross-trained and support all Nutrition Technician duties
10. May be scheduled as Nutrition Technician, as per need.
Nutrition Technician duties: Under the direction of a dietitian, the employee completes the following functions:
1. Collect menus with the patients for >24 hours, as appropriate
2. Communicate, and when needed, prepare specialty food items
3. Pass trays to the patients
4. Enquire after or during a meal if the patient is satisfied
5. Collect meal trays and offer between-meal snacks, as appropriate
6. Note and communicate patient food preferences
7. Monitoring Tray line accuracy and temperature checks
8. Basic nutrition and healthy eating patient education
9. Conduct test tray audits
1. Balance meal charges
2. Write and post new menus
3. Support duties of the team
1. Special diet confirmation of restrictions
2. Ordering and inventory check, weekly
3. Assist and cover dietary positions as needed
4. Cross trained and support all Room Service Cook duties
5. May be scheduled as Room Service Cook, as per need.
The above duties are intended to describe the key aspects of the work performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive listing of requirements relative to the position. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: May include but not limited to training new employees, monitoring peers, and, if needed, assign duties.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
The Room Service Cook shall be:
1. The Nutrition Technician shall be:
2. High School Graduate or equivalent
3. Must be able to interact and communicate with all staff, clients, patients, and families in an effective manner, exhibiting tact, enthusiasm, and patience.
4. Must be able to be sensitive to cultural and language differences.
5. Ability to work individually and in a team setting
6. Able to respect the confidentiality of patient information being received and reviewed.
7. Demonstrate good organizational abilities
8. Knowledgeable in portion control for nutrient delivery cost control.
9. Knowledgeable in food production sanitation requirements.
10. One-year experience in food service, preferred
11. Previous specialty diet menu, selection and food preparation, preferred
12. Prior institutional food preparation, preferred
Ability to read and interpret appropriate job-related documents.
Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide for food production needs.
Ability to solve practical problems and a variety of situations where only limited information exists.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Ability to modify care based on the developmental, functional, age and physical ability of the patient.
Ability to apply cultural, ethnic, and diet needs requested by our patients, clients, and staff.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Food Handler Certificate, within three months of hire.
Complete Room Service Training, within three months of hire.
Complete Customer Service Training, within three months of hire.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to act as a patient advocate.
Ability to interact with patients, families, visitors, staff, and clients.
Ability to interact effectively in a conflict resolution setting.
Ability to demonstrate a professional, open-minded approach in identifying problems and resolving problems/conflicts.
This position does not require hands-on delivery of patient care.
It may include assisting a patient to open food containers and set the tray within their reach.
Must demonstrate an understanding of how a patient’s condition may influence their need for feeding adaptations and understand how/why to assist the patient.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires:
• Ability to regularly lift and or move >10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance, vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
• Walking or standing up to 80% of duty.
• Able to operate food service equipment following safety guidelines.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is subject to a work environment of temperatures below freezing and above 100⁰ F.
The employee is also subject to following safety practices: moving mechanical parts, electrical equipment, risk for burns, toxic chemicals, and biological agents
Position Type : Full Time
Ellen Edwards - Dietary Director